Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Firefox Add-ons

I am making plans to migrate to a new blog, since this blog has served its purpose. Meanwhile, I will continue to post to this blog.

I spent my weekend looking through the more than 1,500 Firefox add-ons. I did not get through them all, but I did install a few that I found useful as a librarian living in Vancouver (in no particular order):

New

0. Hyperwords puts tools within one click of any idea you see on a web page. It is like embedding a search engine in your fingertips - you almost touch any word, phrase, or idea online and off you go!

Original Post

1. NoScript. Allows you to specify which web pages can run java. Useful for safe browsing and ad blocking.

2. Dublin Core Viewer. Allows you to display metadata on web sites. I already mentioned this on my blog.

3. Infocon Monitor is useful if you want to monitor the health of the Internet from SANS ISC.

4. eQuake. Alerts you to earthquakes around the world. Provides a link to the USGS. eQuake will even shake your browser (if you want). To turn off the shaking, click Tools > Extensions > click on eQuake > click on Options, and select "None."

5. mozCC automatically displays the Creative Commons license of the site you are viewing. Helps you determine the copyright status of a site.

6. 1-ClickWeather. Displays weather.com forecasts. You can customize a lot. Useful if you do not have a window in your office : (

7. etc. There are many more extensions that I find useful, but let me know if you found one out of the more than 1,500 that you think is great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home