Friday, June 09, 2006

Flying to Ottawa's History

I arrive in Ottawa on Monday, June 12. If you are a librarian in Ottawa, and you happen to be driving near the airport around 5 pm, then I would appreciate a ride. Email me.

I decided to arrive ahead of the conference because it is going to cost me the same amount that I am spending on flight and accommodation for an extra two nights in Ottawa than if I had booked my flight on June 14, which is the start of the conference. Gives me more time to explore Ottawa.

Ottawa has a history worth exploring. Here are some web sites with quick facts about Ottawa in the present, and Ottawa in the past. There is even a web quiz that you can take after visiting these sites (my score was not high, but the questions are tough)!

Present Ottawa

The City of Ottawa web site offers some Quick Facts About Ottawa and demographics on Ottawa Facts & Research. For SLAIS Alumni considering a move to Ottawa from Vancouver, you may be pleased to learn that renting in Ottawa is 3.5% cheaper than Vancouver (2003 data). In fact, the City of Ottawa's web site above claims "Ottawa is a city of tenants." If you decide to buy an average house on the resale market in Ottawa, it will cost you $219,713 (2003 data), which is 1/3 cheaper than Vancouver). And you will not need a car in Ottawa! The same web site claims that "Ottawa is a city of walkers." Apparently, 7.5% walk to work (Vancouver is second with 6.5%). Better buy comfortable shoes.

Past Ottawa

If you want to test your knowledge of Ottawa's history, then try taking the Heritage Day Quiz. Here are some sites that may help you with the answers:

Ottawa History, City of Ottawa
Ottawa 150 (CBC.ca)
Historical Development of Ottawa, Bytown museum

---------
Photograph: City Hall. Courtesy of City of Ottawa Photo Gallery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home