Sunday, June 11, 2006

Packed and Ready for CLA Conference

rideau canal For the "long" flight to Ottawa, I updated my iPod with science, technology, and game podcasts. Also, I am taking books and articles with me. One essay that I am especially looking forward to reading on the flight:

Jordan, Mark. The Self-Education of Systems Librarians. Library Hi Tech 21, 3 (2003): 273-279. Every SLAIS student should read this article at least once. It would be nice to see a SLAIS repository where alumni deposited articles that they write as professionals, or at least a bibliography, for three reasons: (1) students would benefit from seeing what has been written by SLAIS alumni; (2) SLAIS would be able to promote itself as an institution where its members go on to do research; and (3) we could all benefit from seeing if SLAIS alumni are solving similar problems, discussing relevant topics, etc. Does anyone know if a SLAIS alumni repository exists? Currently, I can only track SLAIS alumni publications by searching for names that I recognize.

For any SLAIS alumni who may find this blog after the conference is over, I have asked Alexa to crawl this blog in the hope that it will be "preserved" by the Internet Archive.

By the way, CLA has sent me a tentative list of duties, and I have already been in touch with my roommate from FIS. Most of the duties involve writing a short review of presentations for CLA publications.

------
Photograph: Canal. Courtesy of City of Ottawa Photo Gallery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home