Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Duties for Student to CLA

Checked in to the Westin Hotel, and I have a view of Parliament! Attended an orientation for Student to CLA, and most of the tasks involve writing a review of a presentation for the CLA Today (conference newsletter). My first feature article will be on the Opening Keynote being delivered by Avi Lewis and Stephen Lewis, and I will be co-authoring it with another CLA Student. If I had known that I was writing a review on Avi Lewis and Stephen Lewis, then I would have done some research. Fortunately, I walked over to the University of Ottawa, and I read a few introductions by Stephen Lewis, since I know that he tends to reference several events when speaking. I came across one passage that I like a lot:

"...there is a need to pronounce on the issues, to take stands, to make voices heard, and to let the community know that thinking, sensitive, decent human beings engage in dealing with people who are vulnerable, isolated, and marginalized."

Sounds like the work of librarians? Source of the quotation was in Sullivan, Nancy E. et al., eds. Social Work with Groups. New York: Haworth Press, 2003. Chapter 1 is "Social Justice: A Global Perspective" by Stephen Lewis. By the way, I am wearing my UBC Alumni pin, but so far, I have not ran into a SLAIS alumnus. Also, I have a First-Timer and a Student to CLA ribbon, which makes my badge colourful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home