Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Touring Ottawa for the Second Time

sign pointing to Parliament What would you do in Ottawa if you could tour it for a second time? I decided to take a tour of Parliament again. In fact, I would recommend taking two tours of Parliament. On my first tour, the Library of Parliament was closed, and the House was not in session. On my second tour, I got to go inside the sparkling Library of Parliament, and I sat in the Gallery watching the House. Unfortunately, the tour guide would not permit photographs of the Library of Parliament - apparently, the number of camera flashes distracted patrons and staff. Someone in our tour group offered to turn off his flash, but we still were not allowed to take pictures. I thought about asking if librarians were an exception...

Here is how to tour the Library of Parliament: first, you walk through some wooden doors, and you meet a statue of Queen Victoria. Next, you gaze up to see the dome. Finally, you spin around in a circle looking at the book cases; my eye caught card catalogue shelves, but I wonder if they are still being used?

Outside of the Library of Parliament A nice post on the Library of Parliament, which shows the inside of the building, by a SLAIS Blogger is in Google Scholar. Although I could not photograph inside the Library, I did take photographs of it from the outside. The photograph next to this paragraph shows the shadow of Thomas D'Arcy McGee's statue "trying" to come into the Library. Knock, knock!

Rehabilitation sign for Library of ParliamentMy personal favourite photograph of the Library of Parliament is the rehabilitation sign at the back because it collects some interesting photographs of the Library in one place. I recommend walking behind the Library. Check out the following link if you would like to see "before and after" photographs of the exterior of the Library of Parliament.

Victoria Tower Bell Also, I took photographs of some statues and plaques, including the Victoria Tower Bell that was originally installed in Parliament prior to the fire. The plaque next to the Victoria Tower Bell reads that "...one of the most pathetic incidents of the night, which moved the spectators, was the striking of the midnight hour by the old tower clock" as the tower burned on February 3, 1916 (CBC Archives).

Cat Sanctuary on Parliament Hill One photograph that you will have to see to believe is a picture of stray cats lying on the field of Parliament Hill. Apparently, there is a cat sanctuary on Parliament; there are cages for the cats, but the cats are allowed out. People come to pet them! I took a picture of the cats rolling around on the Hill. I think it would be a great idea for every legislature to have a pet sanctuary.

Taking a second tour of Parliament made me want the flag flying from the Peace Tower. Apparently, you can make a written request for one. There is a 17-year waiting list, but I am young enough to wait : ) You can add your name to the list for the flags from the Eastern or Western Blocks if you do not want to wait as long, since the waiting list is only 8 years.

Westin OttawaTomorrow, I move in to the Westin (check in time is 3 pm). I have to pick up my delegate package, and attend orientation at 3:30 pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home