Thursday, June 15, 2006

Shook Hands with Stephen & Avi

If you could talk with Stephen Lewis and Avi Lewis, what would you say? As you already know, I had to write a feature article with another Student to CLA on the Opening Keynote Presentation by Avi Lewis and Stephen Lewis. As I was waiting for the elevator to bring me to the presentation, I met Stephen and Avi Lewis - I shook both of their hands! Being a Political Sciences Major, I was very excited. All I ended up saying to them was "Wow." I was speechless.

Stephen and Avi were presenting on "Cross-Generational Transfer: One Family's Strategies for Seeking Social Change." Here are some of the most interesting phrases from their "conversation" (you have to imagine them sitting face to face with the audience listening in) - I should point out that this is my interpretation:

Avi spoke of the "narrative imperative," by which he meant that there is a need to tell stories. My understanding of the phrase was that he felt that people should share ideas, and continue telling stories, in the political advocacy sense of the word, until someone listens!

Avi also reflected on the importance of parents reading books to their children He spoke about the "dignifying act of empathy," an expression that may have different meanings for various people, but the sentiment was that through childrens' stories we can teach young minds to tolerate the Other, and realize that change is possible, and it is in all of us.

Stephen was asked by Avi, "Why he keeps on fighting?" Stephen replied, "Because futility gets you nowhere." I am paraphrasing, but his reply will stick with me. The act of struggling seems to be a victory in itself, in my opinion. Of course, both speakers had a lot more to say on world issues, but at least you have a sense of how memorable the presentation was for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home